Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From Trash to Treasure

Find the beauty in garbage...

I came across this bench must I say on the side of the road on garbage night...yes I am one of those who will stop my truck and run over and pick something up that others throw away. 
My son and husband laugh at me but when it is a beautiful night out who drives me around while I sit in the back of my truck ready to jump over the side and grab my treasure....:)
I have been tired of items from my own home and sit them out on the curb for others to take and make there treasure so it is only fair that I restock when I purge to....(big smile)  

This is my bench before...
it just needs some love...
I took the screws out of the bottom and the seat off and hmmm....nasty spider web....yuk....
Time to sand it down and clean it up before I paint....
2 coats of fresh white paint makes this little garbage treasure a keeper... :)
My new employees Hattie and Capper are watching me work in the background. 
They love the fresh coat of paint..
Now to decide what kind of fabric I want on the seat....
So many options but I think I have the perfect one in mind...
Ahhhh,,,,YES, do you feel it??? 
This is just what I am looking for....I grab my staple gun and prepare  the cushion...

Now that the seat is ready and the white paint has dried it is time to scuff it up...
I am not a fan of perfect....Let's give this bench some tough love...I grab my sandpaper once again
and we scuff up the paint...
And now I screw the seat back on and she is DONE....

 AFTER....Isint she a beauty??  Nice and bright.
And she has a perfect place in my living room right now....
I hope if you see a dirty old treasure out on the street you stop and think about what you can turn it into.
I have an old piano bench I purchased at an estate sale a couple years ago for $1.00  yes just one dollar.
It has been sitting in my basement and I think it is about time to do something with it.

I will show you what I decide to do with the old piano bench on a later post....
I have ideas flowing...

Have a great week everyone







4 comments:

  1. Love it Lisa. I got a dinning room table w/ 2 chair at a flea market and redid it and it has to be my favorite piece of furiture. I bought 2 more chairs and a bench here and there and nothing matches but I just love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa...this is your ol' hillbilly friend. I am making a new blog, fb, email, website. Yours is the first I followed with my new name! It is all hillbilly handiworks now but I haven't published anything yet, or done anything yet.

    I love garbage. How can ya not! LOL Nice stool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Thanks ladies....I agree Leeanne something old just has more charactor than something new anymore....glad you redid somethning and found use from it....Hillbilly I love the name Hillbilly Handiworks...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! awesome job u did:) i love that fabric;)

    ReplyDelete